Posted on August 16, 2017 under Blog
Fernando Ibarra Avila
Senior SAP BI Associate
Let’s take a quick look at some of the things to keep in mind when upgrading/installing the SAP Lumira Server for BI Platform 2.0 SP02. I will try to answer some of the common questions that come with this new upgrade as well as some of the things to keep an eye out for.
August 16, 2017 marked the release of Lumira 2.0 SP02 for general availability. As usual, we here at Comerit Labs promptly downloaded the content to install it on our environment. This prompted a few questions on how to appropriately upgrade our environment and what content would be needed to be downloaded prior to install. The main question to answer is: What upgrade path should we take?
This is a bit difficult to answer because it is dependent on each individual environment. Realistically there are four upgrade/installation paths that are available with Lumira 2.0. They are:
Scenario 1: BI Platform environment that does not have Lumira Server for BI Platform or Design Studio for BI Platform installed
- This scenario is pretty straight forward. If you have neither Lumira Server nor Design Studio for BI Platform installed, then just apply a full install of Lumira 2.0 SP02 and you can utilize it from there.
Scenario 2: BI Platform environment that has Lumira Server for BI Platform 1.x installed but does not have Design Studio for BI Platform installed
- This scenario should be treated the same as a patch upgrade for the current add-on that is installed on the BI Platform. One thing to note is that when we upgraded our environment we went from Lumira Server for BI Platform 1.31 SP 7 straight to Lumira Server for BI Platform 2.0 SP 02. We did not have to upgrade to Lumira Server 2.0 SP0 then upgrade the SP level.
Scenario 3: BI Platform environment that has Design Studio for BI Platform installed but not Lumira Server for BI Platform 1.x installed
- This scenario is very similar to the first scenario that we mentioned above. Essentially, a full install of Lumira Server for BI Platform 2.0 SP02 is required in order to have the capabilities of Lumira 2.0 SP02. Now, you’re probably thinking: What happens to the old services that were utilized for the Design Studio Runtime? They will still be there, but they will not be utilized anymore. If you remember correctly, when the Design Studio add-on was installed on the BI platform, it generated two APS services with the BOBJ environment under the Analysis Services category as seen below:
After the installation of Lumira 2.0 those services are still available, but they are no longer utilized. If anything, they actually take up resources, so it would be a good idea to stop them. Once testing and validation is completed, you can delete those services in order to regain some resources that were being utilized by those services.
Scenario 4: BI Platform environment that has both Lumira Server for BI Platform and Design Studio for BI Platform installed
- This scenario is the one that we faced at the Labs during our installation of Lumira Server for BI platform 2.0 SP02. Because we had Lumira Server for BI Platform 1.31 SP07 and Design Studio for BI Platform 1.6 SP05 installed, we had to install the patch of Lumira Server for BI Platform. Some of the same nuances that we talked about in the previous scenarios can be applied for this scenario also. Essentially, what we had to do at the Labs was upgrade Lumira 1.31 SP07 to Lumira 2.0 SP02. Similar to Scenario 3, the services that were a part of the Design Studio Runtime will now be redundant because it will be rerouted to the LumiraServer Services. That means that after testing and validation, you can choose to stop those services and even delete them.
Keep in mind that if you want to connect to Lumira 2.0 SP02, you will need to install Lumira Designer and/or Lumira Discovery on your local machine and connect that way. That means that previous versions of Lumira and Design Studio will no longer be applicable unless you need it for conversion purposes.
Useful SAP Notes
- 2462799 – SAP BusinessObjects Lumira 2.0: Release Note for SP02
- 2462202 – SAP BusinessObjects Lumira Discovery and SAP BusinessObjects Lumira, server version for BI Platform 2.0 Restrctions (SP2)
This article was written by Fernando Ibarra Avila, a Senior SAP Business Intelligence Associate at Comerit, Inc. He has been working with SAP technologies since 2014 and has been a successful part of several high-profile projects during that time.
Stay tuned for our next post as we explore some of the capabilities that
Lumira 2.0 SP02 has to offer